Come and dig with us! No experience necessary! All ages welcome! Our field schools run for four days but one-day options are available. Field schools are held during the spring and summer of each year and dates are announced by March.
Each year we tend to offer field schools of two types:
- Survey Field School: involves field mapping of important tipi rings and boulder configuration sites as well as homesteads and other surface features.
- Excavation Field School: offers the chance to participate in an excavation.
This program is open to the general public of all ages. It accomplishes two main purposes:
- It provides exposure to scientific archaeological methods and conservation of archaeological resources, and
- It provides hands-on experience and an appreciation of the value of our archaeological heritage.
Both are fun!
2022 Field School Details:
2022 Excavation Field School
- Fort Carlton Provincial Park (July 7, 8 & 10 and August 4-6, 2022) – The SAS will be undertaking excavations at Fort Carlton Provincial Historic Site during the summer months. There will be limited opportunities for guest excavators to participate depending on provincial health regulations. Registration for the 2022 field schools is now closed. If you are interested in joining us on site, there may still be room but please contact the office to find out. Visitors are welcome to view the excavations and speak with the on-site archaeologists during Provincial Park opening hours. All field school participants will be given materials to review prior to their designated excavation days and will undergo a safety meeting each day on site.