Come and dig with us! No experience necessary! All ages welcome! Our field schools run for four days but one-day options are available. Field schools are held during the spring and summer of each year and dates are announced by March.
Each year we tend to offer field schools of two types:
- Survey Field School: involves field mapping of important tipi rings and boulder configuration sites as well as homesteads and other surface features.
- Excavation Field School: offers the chance to participate in an excavation.
This program is open to the general public of all ages. It accomplishes two main purposes:
- It provides exposure to scientific archaeological methods and conservation of archaeological resources, and
- It provides hands-on experience and an appreciation of the value of our archaeological heritage.
Both are fun!
2020 Field School Details:
Carol, Henry, & Callie excavating at the Farr Site in 2015
© Saskatchewan Archaeological Society, 2015
2020 Excavation Field School
- Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the 2020 field schools has been postponed until 2021.
Wanuskewin Field School
© Saskatchewan Archaeological Society, 2011
**SAS Programs Refund Policy:
The SAS board recently approved the following refund policy.
For payment of programs and services:
• If a participant cancels before the deadline, they will receive a full refund minus a 10% administration fee.
• If a participant cancels after the deadline but more than seven (7) days prior to event, they will receive a 50% refund and donation receipt for the other 50%.
• If a participant cancels within seven (7) days of the event, there will be no refund, but a donation receipt can be issued for the amount paid.
• If a participant does not give notice, and does not attend the event (i.e., a no show), no refund will be given.
Extenuating circumstances will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
In circumstances where the Saskatchewan Archaeological Society has to cancel an event, full refunds will be given.